Surf Trip: Puerto Chicama, Peru
I recently got back from a surf trip to Chicama, Peru (where locals claim is the home of the longest left in the world), and to sum it up into one word, the trip was “amazing”. I have grown up in Southern California near some pretty incredible and well-known surf spots, and for the past two years I have wandered and surfed a handful of spots on Oahu’s coastline. Taking this into consideration, and also the fact that I have traveled to several other great spots, I was a little skeptical of whether or not I would be overly impressed by Puerto Chicama. To my pleasant surprise, being simply impressed by this wave is a complete understatement.
The best way to describe a wave at Chicama is to have you think of the longest ride you have had at a normal beach break and then times that length by three. I’m talking about a wave so long that the thought of pulling out early crosses your mind simply because your legs couldn’t possibly handle another hit on the face. It is honestly an unreal experience, and since it’s a left, all you goofy-footed surfers might find it impossible to leave.
I would say that the main point break is best suited for intermediate to professional surfers (all depending on the intensity of the swell and where you paddle out from). But Chicama is also equipped with numerous other breaks that provide waves for surfers of every level. The surf trip was super cheap for the ten days that I spent there, and it was well worth the money. If you are looking for a fun and affordable trip, I suggest looking into Puerto Chicama. You will not regret it.
This is just an intro to my new favorite surf spot. Make sure you check future posts for more information about Chicama that will help you plan the perfect surf trip.
- Buying A Surfboard: Off The Rack vs. Custom - 84,924 views
- Green Foam Surfboard Blanks - 78,895 views
- Donald Takayama In The Pink Longboard - 72,965 views
- Big Blue: The Wavestorm SUP Review - 71,453 views
- Shaper Review: J. and John Richardson of Surfboards Makaha - 70,549 views
- Ocean Sunglasses: Eye Protection While Surfing - 58,322 views
- Panama Jack Suncare - 55,336 views
- Surf Sleeve: A Solution to Thigh Rash - 54,117 views
- Panama Dream Surf Trip: Special Discount Price - 52,363 views
- Surf Art by Drew Brophy - 50,344 views